Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fickle Finger of Fate

I picked up this long skinny piece of scrap limestone from a friend. At first it didn't seem to be usable. Then I found an abstract version of the flying finger of fate in it.

Here's the layout. The verticle lines are on the "Golden Ratio" line segments (see Wikipedia). This will make the curves "pleasing to the eye"...see also "The Golden Ratio - The Story of PHI. The Worlds Most Astonishing Number" a book by Mario Livio.





I used the angle grinder to rough it out.



Then I knocked off the excess stuff.



After a little refinement with the tooth chisel I'm starting to worry about breaking the finger off.



I have to admit I used a power tool to remove most of the material around the finger. Then rasp, rasp, rasp until to this point.


More rasping and a little sanding and this is it so far. Several of my friends don't see the finger from the pictures. Do you?

No comments: