Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Flower of Life

According to Wikipedia:

"The Flower of Life (commonly abbreviated as FOL) is the modern name given to a geometrical figure composed of multiple evenly-spaced, overlapping circles, that are arranged so that they form a flower-like pattern with a sixfold symmetry like a hexagon. The center of each circle is on the circumference of six surrounding circles of the same diameter..."



Starting to lay out the design - see the picture at they right of my 99 cent compase? This could get complicated!

Here is the layout of the design. Now I need to decide what parts get removed.


I suppose I could have done a negative - where the design is removed - but I decided to do a positive - the parts in between get removed. As I started to remove material the pencil lines started to disappear. Since the design took a rather long time to recreate, I decided to use a diamond tipped Dremel to scratch the design into the stone.

Progress?



Whoops! So the border is screwed up...what to do?


Cover it up with a tooth chizel of course. Here's the final.

No comments: