Monday, September 6, 2010

Jack's Progress



Above - Jack as he came back from the Irish Festival

Below - Jack as he was at the start of today.


Below - Jack after about an hour's work today. Because Jack has his head turned slightly I am working first on the left side of his face since the left side is the deepest into the stone. I am still worried about him breaking in two (see earlier post) so if I can get deep enough without him breaking then I will work on his right side.

This carving is actually an interesting (to me) problem in perspective since I am copying a 2 dimensional picture in a "relief" format, it's almost 2.5 D not 3D since it really doesn't have a back side. But the carving does have a depth component mixed with a perspective component (his right eye is closer to us than his left). It will probably only make sense when it is viewed from one perspective - directly in front of it.

No comments: