Monday, May 10, 2010

October 2009 - Birthday Present for a Friend

I've always been amazed how good stone sculptors can carve hard stone so that it appears to be soft draping fabric.


For example:

So, of course I had to try to incorporate this effect into one of my things.




I had a small figure in mind that was draped in some kind of monk-like robe. Over several months I started on it several times and but it wasn't coming even close to the above.


A rough start:








I just couldn't get the fabric to fold:



I had made the mistake of making the "fold" too soft at the top. A fold needs to bunch along a rounded line and then fall from that bunched fabric. Not a very good description I'm afraid.

This is the way it turned out:

Granted the first example above (some Medieval artist) was done in marble with a lot more skill, talent and polishing. This stone I used in this piece doesn't really lend itself to polishing and my fabric folds need "refinement". But it's meant to be garden art so it should look old from the beginning, right?

No comments: